On May 25-26, 2023, We participated in the 28th Nikkei Forum “Future of Asia”.
“Future of Asia” is an international conference where political, economic, and academic leaders from the Asia Pacific region candidly exchange views on various issues in the region and the role of Asia in the world. It is one of the most important international conferences in Asia.
This year’s theme was “Leveraging Asia’s power to confront global challenges” and the following renowned speakers spoke from their own perspectives about the challenges and future of their countries, peace, and international society in a very intense time.
- Lawrence Wong Deputy Prime Minister, Singapore
- Tran Luu Quang Deputy Prime Minister, Vietnam
- Ranil Wickremesinghe President, Sri Lanka
- Zhu Min Former Deputy Managing Director, International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- Don Pramudwinai Deputy Prime Minister, Thailand
- Panel discussion Cultural Exchanges Nurture Asia’s Next Generation
- Yupharet Eakturapakal Founder and CEO, G-Yu Creative
- Tomoko Katsurayama President and CEO, GLOBIS Asia
- Prim Phloeun Executive Director, Living Arts International
- Yuri Sato Executive Vice President, The Japan Foundation
- Panel discussion Toward a society that recognizes diversity in Asia
- Kwon Hyangsuk Associate Professor, Sophia University
- Imane Jamal Eddine Chief of Staff to the President, Microsoft Asia
- Jennifer Lu Social Worker
- Fumio Kishida Prime Minister（Speech Content）
- Panel discussion End of “Post-War”: Drifting Global Order and Asia
- Dino Patti Djalal Former Indonesian Ambassador to the United States
- Kori Schake Senior fellow and the director of foreign and defense policy studies, American Enterprise Institute (AEI)
- Jia Qingguo Professor, Peking University
- Innovation Promotes Women’s Participation and Leadership in Society
- Kristin Kagetsu Co-Founder and CEO, Saathi
- Thongloun Sisoulith President, Laos
- Mahathir bin Mohamad Former Prime Minister, Malaysia
- Kim Woojune President and Head of Networks Business, Samsung Electronics
- Panel discussion Asia’s GX changes the world
- Salyadi Saputra Director, Pertamina
- Koichiro Kimura Chairman and Senior Partner, PwC Japan Group
- Weina Zhang Associate Professor, National University of Singapore
- Panel discussion Global impact of China-Japan relationship
- Yang Bojiang Director-General, Institute of Japanese Studies, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences
- Chisako Masuo Professor, Kyushu University
- Panel discussion Prospects on Japan-Korea Relations in the Post “Post-Cold-War” – 25th Anniversary of Obuchi-Kim Declaration
- Park Joon-woo Former Senior Secretary to the President for Political Affairs, South Korea
- Kenichiro Sasae President, The Japan Institute of International Affairs (JIIA)
As the world faces security issues due to the confrontation between the U.S. and China, Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, and challenges such as climate change and inflation, the keyword “dialogue” was raised at this forum. It seemed to me that the forum provided an opportunity for Asian countries to unite their minds on the importance of building international relations that value peace with tolerance.
Asia Women Leaders Forum (AWLF) also sends out the message “One Team, One Asia” and places the utmost importance on creating a virtuous cycle for individuals and society through dialogue. We also place great importance on dialogue with leaders across industry, academia, government, and the private sector.
We will continue to learn from our great predecessors and unite and move forward together with women leaders in Asia, aiming to create a virtuous cycle for a beautiful Asia.